26 Сен Ancient Grain Pizza
Preparation time: 3 hours + 5 min. cooking
Recipe for: 3 persons
Main ingredients: Kamut® flour , water , whole grain spelt farro
For the dough:
• 3 1/2 tablespoons (35 g) dried sourdough starter yeast
• 1 1/4 cups water (100°F, 37°C)
• 2 1/4 cup (250 g) whole grain spelt farro
• 1 3/4 cup (250 g) kamut©
• 2 teaspoons (10 g) salt
• 2 tablespoons (20 g) extra virgin olive oil
For the toppings:
• 1 jar sun dried tomatoes
• 1 jar pitted kalamata or taggiasche olives
• 1 jar marinated artichokes
• 9 oz (250 g) mozzarella for pizza, cubed
• 2 cans peeled tomatoes
• 1-2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
Insert the Smeg pizza stone and turn the oven on to the “PIZZA” function.
1. Dissolve the yeast in the water, mix with a fork until it is all combined. Add the flours, yeast and two tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to the bowl of the Smeg stand mixer equipped with the dough hook. Start to mix on speed 3 for one minute. Add the salt and continue mixing for 2-3 minutes until the dough has formed in a ball and is homogenous. Take the dough out and put it on a cutting board. Knead it a few times and shape it into a disc. Add a little olive oil to the stand mixer bowl. Put the dough inside and brush the top with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap then cover with a towel. Let rest for 15 minutes. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 1 minute. Return to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Let proof at room temperature for 3 hours. Take the dough out and divide into 3 balls (about 9 oz (250 g) each). (*For freezing instructions, see below). Put them on a lightly oiled baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Let proof for another hour.
2. In a small bowl add the peeled tomatoes and mash them with a fork or with your hands. Add the sugar, oregano and salt. Stir.
3. Roll out each pizza dough ball into a 12 inch (30 cm) disc. Top the pizza base with a few spoonfuls of sauce followed by sun dried tomatoes, olives, artichokes and mozzarella.
4. Use the pizza peel to insert the pizza onto the stone. Bake for 4-5 minutes. Slice and serve hot. Buon appetito!
*To freeze the pizza dough, brush each of the dough balls with extra virgin olive oil and then individually place each one in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw the dough in the fridge for at least 12 hours then continue with the rest of the steps.